Sunday, November 15, 2009

Upgrade time!!!

Before I get any further into this post, I am not talking about WoW or armor upgrades, but the next best thing (or better) Computer upgrade. For the past couple of years, I have been working, playing, etc on my last upgrade, a Toshiba laptop, which replaced my old Dell system. Recently, it has gotten a bit more tedious to handle, mainly due to the lack of a proper number pad, and HD space has become more limited as well. Just recently, a friend of mine who teaches computer science at another local technical school asked me if I knew anyone who was looking for a refurbished Dell XP pro system, as he had 3-4 that he was working on. I said I had been thinking about it, but due to lack of funds, had been putting it off. He said since I was a friend, he'd take $100-150/month (which I'd be paying for out of my Work-study checks) until it was paid off, and then invited me over to look at them. So, this afternoon, I hopped into my car and drove across town to take a look, and I was blown away by whay he had to offer. The one system, I instantly fell in love with (ok, that's an understatement. I drooled a nice puddle onto his living room carpet.) This system (I can't remember the exact model, but it's relatively new) literally blew me away. It has 2gigs memory (upgradeable to 4). He put a brand new top-of-the-line CD/DVD burner in it, a brand new GForce 5200/512k video card in it, and is going to add another hard drive (hinted at maybe a Terrabyte) as well. However, thats not all. It's got a 5(?) channel sound card with full surround sound (imagine playing WoW with those babies), a brand new HP printer, and a UPS to boot. He is selling it to me at cost, since he gets business discounts on all parts he buys, so all totalled, it will probably come to $400-600 (that's including a brand new monitor, btw). He wasn't able to give me a direct quote right off, because he hadn't been able to calculate what he'd put into it since he had been busy fixing and replacing other people's systems, but he'll get back to me in a week or so with the total. I told him I'd have his first payment by the first of next month, so soon, I should have a new puter. I still haven't decided what to do with the laptop yet. I'll either loan it to my neice so she can play WoW until they get the other one I gave them back, give it to my friend to sell as part of my payment, or just keep it in case I travel, and want to play WoW on the road.

2 comments:

Shikyrie said...

update. $560 for the whole kit and kabang. not a bad deal.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! It sounds drool-worthy indeed!

Post a Comment

Cool World of Warcraft gear from Jinx.com

My Personal Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones