Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Quiet Attack of Nothingness (Copied from Matthew West's "Motions" Newsletter)

The Quiet Attack of Nothingness

The extremes of life seem to be when we draw closest to God. When I'm facing an intense trial or a difficult time in my life, I seem to crank up the prayers a lot more often. And on the other side of the extreme, when I've just experienced something amazing, like the birth of my two little girls, my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude, and I can't stop praising God for His blessings in my life.

But what happens between the extremes of life? We spend the bulk of our lives somewhere between the valley and the mountain, living in sort of a middle ground. There's a comfort in the middle ground that can lull a heart to sleep. I believe it is one of the quiet ways the Devil attacks God's people. The longer you live in the middle ground, there is a tendency to feel like you've got a pretty good grip on everything, and there seems to be less of a reason to draw close to God. Before we know it, we've drifted farther away from a passionate faith, and into dangerous territory if one of those extremes of life should occur.

You see, how we handle the middle ground determines the strength of our faith when we do face the extremes of life. If you find yourself in the middle of nothingness this week, press on in your faith with all your heart. Thank God for bringing you this far, and ask Him what he wants to show you during this season.



"Come near to God, and He will come near to you. (James 4:8)"



-mw

Cool World of Warcraft gear from Jinx.com

My Personal Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones